Monday, January 14, 2008

Review of Questions on Writing in 2007

Beginning today, I am going to list the questions I have already answered about writing. The date at the end of the question is the date on which I have published my answer. Just go to the month in the “Blog Archive” on the right of the blog. Click on the month and find the date and my answer. Many thanks to those who have responded to “Q & A on Writing.” I had fun writing it. Some of you have expressed gratitude for my explanations and I appreciate your comments. It will take several days to finish my review of the questions that I have answered. RayS.

What is the most frequent mistake in writing? Friday, May 18, 2007.

What is the “-sede,” “-ceed,” and “-cede” rule in spelling? Friday, May 18, 2007.

When should I capitalize the names of relatives, like “mother,” “father,” “uncle”? Saturday, May 19, 2007.

What should I do when the instructor comes into class and tells us to complete a composition on the topic of “Autumn” and turn it in at the end of the class period? Sunday, May 20, 2007.

How can I avoid using sexist language as in “Everybody returned to his home” (which is grammatically correct, but implies that the whole world is male)? Is there any way to avoid the clumsy “his or her,” “him or her,” etc.? Monday May 21, 2007.

What is the one mistake in punctuation that no one in America should make? Tuesday, May 22, 2007.

Can you simplify all those rules for the comma? Wednesday, May 23, 2007.

What are the most frequent and important uses of the comma? Thursday, May 24, 2007.

No comments: